Friday, October 8, 2021

Kristen's talks "Spencer' with DM

We have only included relevant sections of the interview here: 

Kristen Stewart said the one thing that made her feel 'disloyal', while portraying Princess Diana in her new movie Spencer, is that unlike Diana, she's not a mother herself.

Stewart said she felt the Princess was at her most 'untouchable' when she was with her sons, William and Harry. 

'She's like this feral animal you wouldn't dare accost,' she said, of the woman she plays in Pablo Larrain's film, which imagines three days the Princess spent at Sandringham at Christmas, in the run-up to her separation and eventual divorce from Prince Charles.

She added: 'I need that to feel authentic.' It was a recurring theme during our phone interview (she was speaking from her home in Los Angeles). Which gave me an opening (or so I thought) to ask her about motherhood.

At which point, she knocked the wind out of me by declaring that she was . . . pregnant. Before laughing uproariously.

Her portrait of the complex character who is still transfixing us 24 years after her death is compelling, though she regretted that ¿I¿m not a mum yet¿. Princess Diana is pictured above +5

Her portrait of the complex character who is still transfixing us 24 years after her death is compelling, though she regretted that 'I'm not a mum yet'. Princess Diana is pictured above

'No, I'm not . . . I'm really not!' she declared quickly, clearly enjoying my discomfort ('You were like: 'Oh, my God!').

Sighing, she continued: 'It's the one part of playing her that I felt disloyal about.'

Spencer premiered at the BFI London Film Festival last night, with Stewart and other cast members in attendance. It goes on general release on November 5.

She agreed that Conacher was a 'transcendently talented artist'. Over the years, 'the Diana authority', as she called him, has worked with all the screen versions, including Naomi Watts in the feature film Diana, and Emma Corrin in The Crown (she 'loves' Corrin's work, she added).

She's also become a heck of an actress. Spencer played well in Venice, though there were a few dissenting voices.

Stewart is well aware of the mixed reaction. 'I definitely knew that the chances of 'mucking this up', as a Brit might say, were far greater than doing a 'good job',' she said. 

'But I thought it was worth it. I've been working as an actor for a long time [since the age of nine], and it's really rare to find things that make you feel this way.' Getting inside that head, she added, had imbued her with a 'spooky kind of power'.

When agreeing to the project, Stewart said she'd braced herself for the 'daunting and exceptionally harrowing experience' of recreating one of the lowest periods of Diana's life. But a totally unexpected 'takeaway' of the experience was 'joy'. 

She tried to explain. 'She just really did have this overriding, disarming, beautiful energy.' The decisions Diana was grappling with were 'earth-shattering'. And yet 'inhabiting her made me feel taller, and made me feel I could dance. I felt her power in a f***ing beautiful way'.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?