Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Why Kristen Stewart Matters: A Screed About Girls, Role Models And Tearing Down Those Who Are Different


Why Kristen Stewart Matters: A Screed About Girls, Role Models And Tearing Down Those Who Are Different

Some exercepts from the article written by Kate Spencer:

"It’s confused me for years as to why the general reaction to Kristen is so negative. Why more people - more women - don’t applaud her and say, “thank fucking god.” Because that’s what I say every time I see her walking down a red carpet in a pair of Vans, every time I hear her swear, every time I read an interview where she shuts down repeated inquiries about who she’s dating and attempts to answer ridiculously inane questions with a thoughtfulness that is so rarely found in Hollywood these days."

"As a “journalist” (quotes because duh, I’m a nerdy blogger who never learned AP style) I find this criticism to be unfounded. I’ve interviewed Kristen a few times and she’s pleasant, sweet and spends a lot of time listening to each question and offering up an interesting and at times complex response. Yes, she smiles and laughs. She also furrows her brow and bites her nails in thought. She comes across as incredibly unrehearsed and real, and in a world when many actors offer up robotic responses taught by a media trainer, it’s overwhelmingly refreshing."

"What the critics often tend to ignore, oddly enough, is Kristen’s massive and unconditionally supportive fan base. They are active and vocal and speak of her like a close friend. I’d argue that the reasons they adore her are the same as the ones I’ve listed above, and I trust that they’ll tell me if I’m wrong (@katespencer). Clearly, she’s getting through to an ever-growing group women and girls who see a part of themselves in her; who admire her ability to stand apart from the accepted and encouraged norm. Why this is never part of the media’s Kristen Stewart coverage has baffled me since the beginning. "

"Bill Condon, the director of Breaking Dawn, said the following about Kristen Stewart in an interview. “She was pitched a female role in a comic-book superhero movie that’s about to get started - I won’t say which one - and she was like, ‘Well, screw that. I shouldn’t be the superhero’s girlfriend, I should be the superhero.’

Too late, Kristen. You kind of already are."


For the full article PLEASE go to katespencer.tumblr.com it's a MUST READ.

Via fiercebitch-stew - Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?