Wednesday, June 8, 2022

David Cronenberg talks 'Crimes of the Future' and mentions Kristen



Kyle Buchanan (Vulture)

Filmstage

Kristen Stewart’s performance is especially interesting. What direction did you give her for the role?

For Kristen? Not much. In the script I describe her mostly as a bureaucrat: seemingly very timid, very shy. And then gradually you realize that she is in fact very ambitious, very Machiavellian, very passive-aggressive, and ultimately very devious and will go really far to get what she wants. And it is a strange thing that she wants. Kristen just understood this. The way she played with her voice, that was totally her.

The way I work with actors, I don’t tell them anything at first. I want them to show me what they think. I trust their intuition. I’m hiring them because I think they will be able to bring these characters to life. For me to then control them like a puppet, like Hitchcock used to say he did, is counterproductive. Like, why would you do that? You’ve got a brilliant actor. Why stifle them by telling them how to deliver their lines or whatever? It doesn’t make sense to me.

Source 1 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?