Friday, September 18, 2020

Kristen's interview for 'Seberg' with Salzburger Nachrichten (Austria)



Google translated.

Playing a historical figure, of whom there are many recordings, is always a challenge. Did you find parallels to her?

Kristen Stewart: She had this resilience, this vivacity - if I were to try to step outside of myself and look at the differences between the two of us, I wouldn't have that vivacity as naturally as she did. From the tone of voice, energetically - I think about it in similar categories to music. It has all of these flashing high notes and just because it has that very solid bass line makes them beautiful. Back then, as an actress, you had to meet certain expectations, even more than perhaps today, something feminine, a slight touch, a constant cheerfulness, that "America's Sweetheart" thing. It was very natural and familiar to her, she's always been the most popular girl in school, if you know what I mean.

Even so, she did not hesitate to take a risk for a political cause.

Yes, you can feel it in every one of her interviews - she always sided with the underdog. The people and also the film projects to which she was drawn, even if they are commercial Hollywood productions, she is always in the middle with integrity. To show that was our goal. I didn't want to present a precise image of her, there isn't much material in which she doesn't act or do public relations. How it was behind closed doors I had to figure out myself.

What was particularly difficult? 

It was really hard being her. To go through the gradual dissolution of this person is very sad. We had to make the film very quickly, it is an independent film with a small budget, there were no long pauses in which I could question everything, but it was very important to me that the film should sound as painful and bad as it is it reads in her biography. There are a couple of clips of her that show her withdrawing, beginning to fade, and that's such a big contrast to the radiance she was in her youth - that's the saddest thing ever. I got to know and love her through her work, as close as I could get to her.

Jean Seberg was not always taken seriously as an actress, also because she made "less relevant films", as the film says. You have experienced something like this again and again since the "Twilight" films. How do you deal with that? 

I don't draw a strict line between the things that are more for me and the commercial films. I'm lucky enough to be offered films like this one because I want to stay relevant, as Jean says in the film, but also films like "Charlie's Angels" that are supposed to be fun for the world. Of course, not everything goes down well. But when I allow strangers to influence my opinion about myself, it's always tricky. It's uncomfortable when you feel totally misunderstood. But without wanting to appear arrogant: If people don't like me, then they're not my friends, and luckily I have others. I can't worry about everyone's liking me.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?