Wednesday, November 14, 2012

More from the Backstage Magazine Interview

imagebam.com

The current issue of Backstage features Kristen Stewart on the cover, talking about her upcoming films “The Twilight Sage: Breaking Dawn Part 2” and “On the Road.” However, she chatted with Backstage about much more than that! Here are some outtakes from the conversation, where she talks about her other films, including the Mary Stuart Masterson-directed indie “The Cake Eaters,” in which Stewart delivered a physical tour-de-force playing a girl with an incurable neurological disorder.

On being misrepresented in the press:

“There’s been a couple of things recently where I just went…what the fuck? It always ends up being something that you kind of said but it’s changed so…I don’t even want to say ‘masterfully,’ because it doesn’t take an intelligent person to do this, it just takes a very conniving, manipulative capitalist motherfucker. The thing is, some people live on the battlefield and some people don’t. I just don’t live my life like that so I never anticipate those things. But you encounter people in your life that are about divide and conquer, and it’s crazy.”

On leaving "Twilight" behind:

"I’m so excited that the story is done and we don’t have that hanging over us anymore. There are so many moments that are beloved and typically, you have five months to think about things. We had five years. It’s amazing. How many times are you going to get that chance to focus on that one person for so long? But because everything’s been done so well, I think we’re excited to be moving on. Not that we want it to be over, but it feels right. It did not feel right at any point before this.”

On the question she's asked the most:

“The most common question or comment I get about ‘Twilight’ is, ‘You must be so sick of it. Did things get stagnant? Are you bored?’ Well, no. Because we hadn’t done the whole story. It’s not like we did the same thing over and over. I also get the ‘responsibility’ question all the time, about being a role model. Also, I find it crazy when people ask quickfire questions like, ‘We just have 20 questions really quick, answer these…’ and they’ll be really heavy, deep questions like ‘What’s your greatest fear?’ What? How do I respond?”

On auditioning for director Sean Penn for “Into the Wild”:

“After I did a reading, we met again like a week later and I played a song for him. I botched it so badly, it was awful. I learned “Blackbird” on guitar, but it was difficult to sing at the same time. It was very embarrassing, but he gave me the part anyway. He said he wanted me to be in the movie he just didn’t know in what capacity yet. Then he called me and said, ‘Hey you want to do this thing?’ I was like, ‘Jesus Christ, are you kidding me?’ ”

On her most difficult role:

“ ‘The Cake Eaters’ was the most intimidating thing I’d ever done. I got to know a couple families that struggle with that disease, Friedreich's Ataxia. You can’t generalize it at all. It’s so distinct. I wasn’t able to try it before we started shooting, I couldn’t do it. Until it was the moment it was supposed to happen, it felt ridiculous to imitate something like that. Mary was amazing to have enough faith in me to wait until we started shooting.”

On doing indie films:

“There is a part of indie movies that’s really appealing that is like, half of these people will think we’re fucking crazy, but half these people will be our friends. You can find people similar to you with stuff that’s a little bit more obscure. Not everyone’s going to like it. ‘Into the Wild,’ people either love that movie or fucking hate it. It really pissed some people off. But I love it, and he does too, and he does too. Its kind of an appealing part of doing these indies. They’re fun because it’s us and them.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?