Monday, May 23, 2022

Kristen's interview with TFI Info (France) at the Cannes Film Festival



Google translated 

She is starting to have her habits on the Croisette. Four years after serving on Cate Blanchett's jury, American actress Kristen Stewart is back in Cannes with Future Crimes , David Cronenberg's new film. A shocking, gory and sexy SF film in which she plays an assiduous fan of a contemporary artist played by Viggo Mortensen. From the Twilight saga to her recent Oscar nomination in Spencer , the young woman has taken a step forward in her professional and personal life. Smiling and relaxed, she confided in TF1info a few hours before the screening.

Cannes is a festival that counts in your career, isn't it?

Yes, because I had some of my best cinema experiences here, with people I love. I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've been here and it's clearly the only festival where people aren't obsessed with 'selling' movies but just loving them. That's why I feel comfortable here.

Is it the antithesis of Hollywood where it is above all a question of the box office?

An example: we are sitting there and normally my job is to say to you: "My film is coming out, please go see it on such and such a day!" . Whereas in Cannes I have the impression of really talking about films, which is much more fun all the same.

Here you also presented a short film which marked your debut as a director…

And I couldn't believe I was allowed to show it here. I hope to come back one day with another film that I have made. But it's true, it was one of the most beautiful moments of my life.

Helping David Cronenberg tell a story that feels like a testament is a huge honor

You are this year on the poster of the new David Cronenberg, The Crimes of the future . What does his cinema represent for you?

Without wanting to sound cliché, David's films are really his films. They have his imprint, they have a voice, a singularity. You recognize what you look at. I would say that even when he is very critical of our society, he is never completely cynical. In this film for example, there is this sentence "surgery is the new sex". It's a way of saying that nowadays, we almost need to cut our flesh to still feel something. Because we are disconnected, because in this constantly changing world, the body becomes obsolete. On paper it sounds intense and scary, that's why we talk about body horror. But when I watch his films, even the most extreme seem tender to me in reality. So for me, helping him tell a story that is like a kind of testament is a huge honor. This film is so personal because Viggo plays his character according to a version of David.

I recognize that this film is a bit gore sometimes. But it's done with a form of elegance and sensuality that's shocking

How did the connection between you come about? Who called who on the phone?

It was he who called me. I had met him here at this festival actually. I found him very nice and welcoming. We had some really interesting discussions and I hadn't seen him for a decade, I think. It was done in a very traditional way. He called me and sent me the script but before I even read it, I was jumping all over the place! Oh my God ! I couldn't believe Cronenberg was asking me to be in one of his movies. I would do anything for him.

Tell me about your character. Just his first name is intriguing...

Timlin! (Laughs). This character is a great representation of the power of the art to transform people. At first, it's a little bureaucratic thing working for the government and as the film progresses, she discovers the marginal world of underground art in which the character played by Viggo is a celebrity. She becomes so obsessed with him, it's almost comical since she can barely talk to him. It illustrates well the fact that certain artists can drive people completely crazy.

If people are screaming and slamming the door at the Cannes screening, would that be a form of victory?

I hope never to make a film that does not elicit any reaction. For me, the most shocking thing is that there is a lot of sweetness in this film. I admit it's a bit gory sometimes. But it's done with a form of elegance and sensuality that is shocking. I never closed my eyes looking at him. However in general I am a bit prudish with these things. But there, I was left speechless. Because it's a film that makes you want to desire.

Kristen, you are an actress who breaks convention, both in your work and in your personal life. Do you feel a form of responsibility towards your fans? Or are you advancing a bit without thinking too much?

One does not go without the other, I believe. If I reflected on my behavior in order to influence people, I would not be authentic or inspiring. I'd rather not think about it. I also love when I chat with a younger person and they say "thanks to you, I feel good" . It's contagious and it's mutual so I feel the same. It doesn't feed I believe as much as it feeds others, apparently. I'm lucky.

Do you have to fight to be who you want to be in this job?

Yes, but it's a very pleasant fight! (Laughs).

We were talking about your short film. Do you already have an idea for your first feature? 

Yes, I adapted novelist Lidia Yuknavitch's memoir, Fluid Mechanics, and here we are waiting for the money to come in, which is kind of what all independent directors are waiting for. I still have a bit of work to get it done but I hope to shoot at the end of the year.

Do you think you will always remain independent, deep down?

I don't think I'm going to let anyone catch me on a leash in the future. I feel like I've found my rhythm, I feel confident and happy to be able to navigate this profession on instinct. I don't feel any pressure.

Do you have any regrets?

Nope ! All the awfully stupid things we do in life are part of you. You know, we are all the result of a million mistakes. And I don't regret any of it.

And a secret dream that you could confess to me today?

Nope ! (Laughs).

A director with whom you would like to shoot then?

So I'm going to tell you about someone everyone should know. Her name is Rose Glass and we are going to make a movie together called Love Lies Bleeding . I loved Saint Maud , I find her incredible as a director. He's one of the few people I wanted to meet, for no particular reason. I'm always a bit shy and usually it's the directors, who are very determined people, who come to you. But here it taught me that when you go to someone you admire, say so because it works!

You are one of the rare American actresses to have won a César, it was for Sils Maria by Olivier Assayas. When will we see you again in a French film?

I would love to do another French film. In fact, I appear for a very short time in Olivier Assayas' new series, Irma Vep. I believe he cooks something and I cook it almost every day. We will work together again, that's for sure. If I could make another film with Olivier "in French"… That's my next goal! 

I thought you already spoke good French!

Not at all ! I can pretend to have the accent. But I don't even understand what I'm saying (laughs).

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?