Friday, January 31, 2014

New Rosabotanica Promo Interview with Byrdie


Kristen Stewart will be the first to tell you she leads a double life. Since wrapping the last installment of the blockbuster Twilight saga, she’s sunk her teeth into gritty, not-at-all glamorous roles in On The Road and the Sundance hit Camp X-Ray, where she plays a small-town soldier assigned to Guantanamo Bay. All the while landing a Chanel campaign and working as the face of Balenciaga’s fragrances.

“It’s cool that I have this dual life,” she told us. “I’m very simplistic with my makeup in real life, so on the red carpet I like to push it in the other direction. If I’m going to do something, I’m going to do it all the way.” Stewart keeps her must-have lipsticks, eye makeup, and brow pencil handy, but it’s super-hydrating skin products that take up the prime real estate in her makeup bag. “I have to moisturize my skin a lot, you can’t go without makeup if your skin looks haggard and crack-y,” she says. “I always think of that scene in Zoolander when he [Ben Stiller] says 'moisture is the essence of beauty,' but it’s so true.”

Stewart prefers to keep her makeup light off-camera, so she works hard to keep her face glowing. “Proactive keeps my skin really clear,” she says. “My biggest thing is to keep my face hydrated and healthy with a lot of moisturizer. I use creams from Dermalogica and Dr. Hauschka."

“I don’t ever use foundation,” Stewart says. She is however, an expert on tinted moisturizer. In her makeup bag you’ll find her mainstay—M.A.C.’s Studio Moisture Tint SPF 15 ($35)—as well as her latest favorite. “I’ve been using Bare Essentials’ Tinted Moisturizer ($30); it’s the lightest one I’ve found,” she says.

“I like doing something cool on the red carpet,” Stewart told us. “So many people go for pretty—and that’s pretty boring,”

“It’s pretty obvious I like a smoky eye,” Stewart says, referring to her many red carpet looks sporting a dark, defined eye. “There’s this eyeliner from Topshop I use, it’s super black and stays in place,” she says. “Every time I go there I buy five of them.” And her mascara of choice? “Right now I’m using one from Bare Essentials.”

Stewart fills in her brows with Anastasia’s Perfect Brow Pencil ($25), but doesn’t dare pick up a pair of tweezers. “I’m so lucky I don’t have to do anything to my brows,” she says. “I’m such a wuss about pain.”

Stewart’s said she didn’t like perfume before becoming the face of Balenciaga’s Florabotanica ($100), so how does the new sister scent stack up? “They have a similar undertone, but Rosabotanica ($100) is sort of warm and musky,” she says. “It’s more worn-in, sort of like the nighttime version.” Now she rotates the two, depending on her mood.

Stewart won’t leave the house without Burt’s Bees Lip Balm ($4) and, if she needs something richer, Aquaphor Healing Ointment ($6). “Aquaphor is the most hardcore moisturizer,” she says. “You can even use it for tattoo care.”

Stewart applies the same ‘all or nothing’ sentiment to her lip color. “I like full on lipstick or nothing at all,” Stewart says. “Stains, gloss, I don’t like any of that.” She favors rich formulas from Chanel: “I’ll do a classic red, pink, and sometimes a red with a little orange in it.”

“It’s great to have a beauty team that I can lend my creative imput to,” Stewart says. “My makeup artists are so fucking good, they’re artists. I work with Beau [Nelson] and Jill [Dempsey] and neither of them ever want to do the same thing twice.”

The one product that never leaves Stewart’s bag? "Bumble and bumble’s Hair Powder ($36),” she says. “It’s a lifesaver.” Like almost every celebrity we interview, Stewart prefers her hair a little dirty. “It’s best on the second or third day,” she says. She also keeps Moroccanoil’s Treatment ($43) on hand. “My ends get mad dry.”

“I don’t like anything too shiny,” Stewart says about her nails. Her favorite colors come from Chanel—and she always tops them with with a matte topcoat. “I really like black nails right now.”

When asked about her beauty icons, Stewart takes a few seconds to think. “Take Patti Smith and add in a little Brigitte Bardot to up the sex factor,” she says. “That’s pretty dope, I’ve got a beauty icon now.”

When Stewart’s exhausted after a long day on set, she reaches for Rohto’s Ice Redness Relief Eye Drops ($7). “They burn,” she says. “Trust me you’ll cry, but then your eyes are so clear and bright after.”

“I love Skinceuticals’ serums,” Stewart says. “They have one that’s for stressed-out skin, one for your pores if you’re breaking out, and then the preventative one for problematic skin. I use a few of them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?